Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Ramp up the jawn!

I like bmx, I like it alot. Unfortunetly I am not good at it. Especially now that I can't ride a normal shortbike worth crap (the right half of my body feels like it was hit by a car, wait...). Even if I wasn't hurt last week when I finally pulled my bmx bike out I managed to break the chain within an hour of doing sweet tricks. Bummer.



See, broken chain. I do not lie!


Anyway, I went for a little ride around town the other day and couldnt help but to notice all the bmx spots I know of around down town. This is part of the reason I love bmx. I love seeing ledges that normal people don't normall notice, but bikers have waxed and rode. I like seeing gaps, and jumps carved out in the dirt. I like seeing tire marks on walls, and quickrete on retaining walls. This said I am rarely the one putting tire marks 5 ft up on walls, 3 feet for that matter.



The point is that it's another part of this city that most people do not see or experience. Skaters get it, bikers get it, a few other, but not everyone. And I love the idea of people networking through a series of gaps and ledges. Running into other kids on bikes in different towns, and being able to go to different spots with them. Not malls, or monuments, or stores. Parking lots behind stores, construction sites, and staircases. I just hope that people keep doing these things for a long time. Despite the criminalization of recreation it's important to maintain these aspects of a culture that not alot of people notice. All that said I am hardely a figure in the Eau Claire BMX scene, so I give props to those riders who are out on their bmx bikes every day tearing it up. CURB ENDO!


No comments: