Friday, April 4, 2008

Clipless pedals are for losers, uh huh.





I can't get over spring. Every day for the past week I've been on my bike at least 4 hours. Not even a sweater. The idea of this being the kind of weather we will have for the next 4 months seems impossible, but I'm looking forward to it sooooo much. Yesterday was a really good day. I rode all over town dropping off flyers for the BFF. I saw at least 5 fixed gears or single speeds that I havn't seen all winter. And every one of those people should come to the Thursday night ride. Anna and I stopped down at midwest for a little while and then my house. I signed a lease for my new place on Hobart, which take a huge load off my mind knowing I will have somewhere to live in a month. Then Anna, Katie and I rode bikes around town some more, and relaxed over at Pheonix park for a while. Rode over to Banbury and walked around the building looking for an office that got relocated to Chippewa. By that time we were hungry so we went to country kitchen to eat. I got big veggie omlette, 2 pancakes, hasbrowns, coffee and pie. God I love breakfast. By that time we headed back into town so I could go to the Thursday night ride. I got to Racys early because I always forget if we are suippose to meet at 6 or 6:30. Which was kind of convinient anyway because all we did for about and hour or more was sit around outside and enjoy the weather. WHen we finally hit the road we rode with Zachers to go check out his new IRO which is an incredible looking bike, and I can't help but be jelous of the deal he got on it. AFter that we rode to Mt. Simon and sat around for a while and had a couple drinks. It started to get chilly so we took off for Mt. Tom. En route we stopped and played a few rounds of foot down, and played around on the slants over by Banbury for a while, and Chris did a little drop off a narrow ledge on his bianchi. From there we headed out to Mt. Tom for another really pretty view of the city. Had another couple drinks and got cold again. Got scared going down the hill and foot braked alot of the way down, because I didnt want to smash into a fence. From there we rode around trying to find a good parking lot to do sprints and more foot down in. We rode for a while and eventually ended up behind Mega. Drank some, more played a redicoulous amount of foot down, sprinted. Did a bunch of track stands, backwards circles, attempts at wheelies, overbar no handed skids, etc. etc. It was all a really good time and eventually ended in a skid comp that blew out Chris's tire, and nearly went through mine. After a tire patch and rotation session we split up and I headed home. Fortunetly my tire help up untill I got to the Grand ave. foot bridge when it blew out and I walked the rest of the way home.



When I got home rather than go to sleep I decided to tear my bike apart and clean it up a little. I regreased my headset and cleaned up my rims a bit. I'm already excited about riding again next week. Goign fast is fun, but I'm the kind of person that likes to hang out and dick around on bikes, alot. I guess that kind of person could be called a hipster, and I've mad fun of kids doing bunny hops on fixed gears too, but what can I say. I guess that makes me a hypocrite, so be it. I'm also pretty excited and nervous about the BFF. I'm just hoping the attendence is good. Anyone reading this should invite anyone and everyone they know. It would be cool to get some people from out of EC to show up also. The stronger a bike scene we have regionally the better. I've been sitting here for far to long, and I've only got a couple hours before work, so I'm going to go eat food and ride bike.




No comments: