Monday, October 29, 2012

(sort of) NEW BIKE DAY!

 After putting this on the back burner for months I finally swapped out a bunch of stuff on the Miyata commuter and turned it into a single speed. I know there are people who will swear by brakeless fixed gears and whatever until the day they die, and for a long time I was one of those people.  Fixed brakeless is fun, zippy, and simple.  While these things are true, brakeless fixed isn't always the most practical.  Last summer my knees started to give me trouble and I finally put a brake on this bike. I realized very quickly how much better it was than before.  After coming to Madison and commuting fixed it started to get old quick.  Then I trashed my fork and finally decided to make the swap to single speed. This bike has taken on many different configurations and I have loved them all, but after a bit of dialing in I've got to say this may be my favorite so far.

 Mostly stuff that was just laying around or already on the bike.  Campy front, campy pedals, iro cranks, messenger ring, whatever rear, cheapo brakes, tektro levers topped off with an old San Marco Rolls and some super wide mustache bars. And this fancy bell.

 Still a work in progress, like all my bikes, eventually get the addition of a Brooks and the fattest tires the frame can fit. Overall pretty happy with the way it rides now however.
 Today was absolutly beautiful out so after work I took the newly refurbished steed out to Elver "we don't want your kind here" Park, which as I suspected was largely abandoned and afforded me the luxury of ripping around the disc golf course and relaxing in the sun.
Crappy photo but yonder about 7 miles is the Capital, neat view.  

 This week is going to be gorgeous, go out and live it.

No comments: