Wednesday, October 17, 2012

stay busy

I realized today that I haven't even mentioned the mountain bike trip to the Chequamegon, last weekends cross race, the past two weeks bike adventures, and flyers for stuff coming up in the weeks to come.  Totally inexcusable but I'm a busy dude these days and little stuff like remembering to bring my camera along and actually take pictures and make mental notes has been tough.  Suffice it to say, however, that I've been biking and milking the last days of warm weather the best I can and trying to get my gear in line for the months to come.  I'll be at the Hellcat in Eau Claire on Saturday, if your in the area get there and have fun.
 
This is cool:
 

This is dumb:


 Don't get me wrong, I strongly believe that bikes as a utilitarian tool for transportation are an incredible tool to lift people from poverty.  This just falls apart because cardboard bikes are miles away from being utilitarian.  This is a niche that great charities like Project Rwanda and Maya Pedal among dozens of others have been pursuing for a while.  We don't need crappy proprietary cardboard garbage bikes, just better distribution and education about the gazillions of abandoned and thrown out bikes that already exist.  It's a kind gesture, but totally misinformed and impractical.

No comments: