Wednesday, January 30, 2008

-34 windchill

Q:Why the fuck am I still on my bike?
A: What would I be doing with my life is I wasn't?

It's kind of funny how you end up answering so many questions with other ones. I'm in a really melancholy mood partially because it's cold as fuck, my shoes are wet, and I'm short rent and tomorrow is the 31. I'm looking forward to the ride tomorrow night because I need a break from alot of the shit thats been going on in my head and I just need to try to ride all of that shit out rather than the more self destructive idea of going out and drinking it out. Anyway, I just wanted to edit this to put up an awesome video clip. In the late 80s the first wave of "extreme sports" started to take serious root. Kids had been riding skateboards and racing bikes for some time prior, but the sports began mainstream success and began to gain the intrest of movie companies. The skate end of the deal was the movie Thrashin (and gleaming the cube!). The BMX end was Rad. The heroic tale of a paper boy gone pro BMXer. Anyway someone put together a bunch of clips from this movie into a pretty moving montage that I think is worth taking a look.
Rad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMeD9nrpfeY&NR=1
There are like a million other clips worth looking at on there.
If thats not enough full face helmets and spandex check out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_9VlHFOu8

Other bike related video stuff. They have the documentry "Pedal" at the local library. It's kind of slow paced and ambiguous but worth a look. heres the trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VckgDaKpRK0

Well I've put off my obligations long enough. I'll end this with a quote from Steve Crandall off the Road fools 8 video.

When I was about 4 years old I got my first bike. That seems like both yesterday and a million years ago. The first time I rolled to the end of my driveway, I doubt I realized how much further my bike would take me.

That was almost 23 years ago.

Since then, my bikes have taken me to the middle of the woods, cities far and wide, prestigious universities, the Eiffel Tower, the convenience store, and even jail.

How amazing is this vehicle we call a bicycle? How far can it take you? And how far are you willing to go? None of that really matters though as long as you enjoy the time you spend getting there.
-Steve Crandall

No comments: