Thursday, May 20, 2010

streeeeet

A while ago I was approached about helping Volume One work on a big piece on developing our streets to be more pedestrian/bicycle friendly. I cordially accepted and the article is out now. I think the whole thing is really good and really impressive and am happy I could help. Well all of it except one thing...

"Local businesses have the ability to appease a whole bunch of irritated bicyclists, increase their traffic, and even save trees with one simple act: adding a bike rack. Over the past few years, trees in downtown Eau Claire have started blooming bikes as well as leaves. This is a protest/demonstration from the cycling community about the lack of parking. Bikers hoist their bikes into trees to prove their point."
It's funny to me that something that started out as a total joke has become a "protest/demonstration." I'm not about to totally discredit the article, because hey if it advances the cause then good for us. But I can't help but shake my head at how this stuff gets politicized sometimes. I could rant about the politicization of cycling culture and environmentalism for a long time, but I will spare you and instead post this picture of mine and Cayla Flecks bikes making a cameo.

Anyway, it's an interesting read and a lot of work went into this issue, so pick it up or chek it out online here. We are the people this affects most of all when it boils down to it.

My summer officially kicks off on Saturday, can't fucking wait!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not all that pleased with the tone of your article(s) either. Just saying. A little different wording could have adding some neutrality or perhaps some positivity. The critical mass one had a slightly negative undertone later on. Obviously unintentional but adjusting the language could have changed that tone.

Cayla said...

Seeing my pink bike being mounted by yours in an act of extreme bike locking protest really made my day just now. Good thing I check bikeec every day.