Tuesday, November 6, 2012

fly right

Last weekend last minute I decided to pack my bags and head Eau Claire way for Ghettocross. This is the second event that I used to have a hand in that I've been back to check out as a participant since I moved and it was awesome.  I guess that makes me a bit of a helicopter event parent but it's refreshing to go back to stuff you used to have your fingers in and be able to jut sit back and enjoy for a while.  Ghettocross started 4 years ago as an idea for a fun sloppy cross race that was cheap and welcoming. Last year it grew to a 3 race series, and this year is 3 races again.  $1-3 buy in, cash purse, winner take all, beer for everybody. 25 people showed up to race with another 25 spectators in the crowd to watch the action.

The race itself wrapped up in around 20 minutes then the socializing, snacking, beers, and fire jumps started.
Ramps were totally incinerated and winners earned their keep.  After a pizza break the sun went down and we headed out to rest for an hour or so before the rest of the night's festivities. From that point on the night flew by, and unfotunatley I was much to lazy to do much documenting of it.  But suffice it to say I hung out with awesome people including some I haven't seen in some time, watched a show in a very risque very improvised costume, sat around another camp fire, and didn't hit the hay until early in the morning

Sunday after a big greasy breakfast I watched the Packers and headed back home with a big ol' grin on my face.  If you are in the area and you ever get the chance I highly recommend checking out the Ghettocross races. There are 2 left the next couple weekends and I guarantee they will be a treat and a welcome change from your standard race.

Oh yea, and I randomly met Danny Devito.
Small world.

No comments: