Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Big Ring

 Last weekend was the first weekend getaway I've had in a long time and it was a total blast.  I got up early and headed to Cadott for June Dairy Days annual free pancake breakfast which I've been going to since I was a kid.  I met up with Magyar and Matt and after eating half a dozen pancakes, a pound of cheese curds, and a ton of fruit we loaded up the van and headed to 9 mile in Wausau for the Trek Big Ring Classic. I had never ridden 9mile before so I was looking forward to a nice weekend of mountain biking and camping.  We got up there, unloaded cracked a few beers and got right to riding.
 We hit the comp pre ride quick before setting to the single track.  The single track is amazing with a lot of great flowy sections, fast rolling granite, and a ton of technical rock sections.  The only criticism I had was the lack of  signage got kind of confusing after a while for a first timer.  After a couple hours of riding we got back to the site and had a few more beers before heading out again with Matt.  By the time we got back our site grew by 2 people and a dog and we set into drinking and making a huge dinner staying up late getting roudy and checking out Dogtanamo Bay next door before hitting the sack.  Sunday was race day.  I rode Sport and did about as well as I had expected and had a ton of fun.  Sam got a mechanical and Mags came in 7th for single speeds in Comp.  Heckled a bunch, drank some more, rode a bit, packed up and got back to Eau Claire to hit up a buffet before soaking in a hot shower for half an hour.  
 Can't wait for the Firecracker. 

No comments: