Wednesday, April 13, 2011

from the vault

More from olden days.


Two pictures from my place on Grand Ave circa 2006-7. This house is where the picture above my profile came from. The road bike is my first "fixed gear," a welded together hub on an old Schwinn World Sport. I rode it as a single speed for a while after the derailers got all messed up and as soon as I found out about fixed gear via what ever fixed gear media was out at the time I wanted it, and made it happen. Looking back I'm surprised I didn't kill myself. No bar tape, insane gear ratio, no straps, and an all around crap build. Live and learn.
The triple-tall bike circa 2006(obviously). Coupled with my rock and roll long hair and impeccable fashion sense this was obviously not my most shining moment in the social scene. But that is why we have bikes.
Tour d'Franzia.
Another tall bike in the pole shed of my Dad's house. This is where many bikes were built with his massive old Arc welder(visible left through the door slots) and test ridden in the day. Most of my working technical knowledge of bikes comes from tearing them apart and putting them back together repeatedly. Something that freak bikes was good for. It didn't matter how well they operated once they were put together, just as long as they worked. Needless to say you can only commute on such a thing for so long before wanting something a little simpler. Then finding yourself later longing for the impracticle fun of the tall bike again. Pretty sure this is the bike I took to Chicago the first time I hung out with Rat Patrol.
My first real real fixed gear, my Windsor. Hit by a car, abused, and stolen. Again, you live you learn.


Three photos from the "Boneshaker Halloween Bash" Oct. 2007. Prompted this blog according to me in 2007. Really one of the first times I met a lot of the people I consider close friends now. Andy and I in photo one, me tall bike jousting (and losing) in photo two, a crowd photo three.
Fin.

No comments: