Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Good fortune cookie


So there is this story I kept hearing a couple weeks back about some older roadie who was going out for his daily ride out by Lowes Creek and when he didnt return after a couple of hours his wife started to get worried. Apparently she called the police and they found his body a little bit later. Apparently he was still slipped into his pedals and had suffered a massive heart attack that killed him before he even hit the ground. I used to think that I wanted to die jumping the Grand Canyon in an 18 wheeler pulling a load of fireworks and being hit by a bolt of lightining halfway across the jump. But the more I think about it the more the sudden death while doing something that you absolutly love to do sounds a little better. Sure, there are not going to be any massive explosions played on the 10pm news across the country and blooper shows for years to come. But I think that we like to think that death will somehow be a validating experience. And that for that split second before it happens we will get to see our lifes net worth and go out with a smile or a grimace. And i have very little doubt that this guy was probably not only smiling when he went down, but thinking about all of the other shit he had planned to do or not to do that day. I think that is what makes riding bikes kind of special and important. If you were to have a massive heart attack on a bike and keel over you are dying an infinetly more socailly responsible death than crashing into school kids while trying to take a bite out of your Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger. But on top of that it is kind of a "piece de resistance" of a life that is more centered around living than just bouncing back and forth between obligations.
On that note. I have been having an awesome action packed super fun end of summer. A lot of nights have ended in me drinking more than I should have, and riding/crashing my bike late at night. I feel like people are starting to get the warnings nature is sending about summer winding down and as a result we have all started to kick it up a notch and get the maximum amount of summer time fun in while we can. Which is awesome, because we are experts.
I guess thats all I really have to say. I am in a good mood even though I have to go to the dentist which says alot. I am feeling realy ambitious and I can't wait to hang out with all of my friends and ride bikes tomorrow. So be there. Ok?

Also, I think this is kind of interesting. It's pretty much just a ego stroking hipster style guide,but it's kind of cool. http://hurr.wentworthless.net/NACCC_2009_Web/

1 comment:

Laura-Marie said...

Hoping the dentist was okay!