Monday, June 8, 2009

like a hammer

Its been a week since I last posted, and I am sure that anyone who reads this is just dying to know what has been going on. Well the story remains the same, nothing new, just living. In case you've been living in a vacuum you know that it has been raining the past three days and has complelty sapped me of any energy/motivation other than that to drink coffee, read, and watch movies.

The other day I was thinking about the fact that I asume that anyone reading this already has some sort of knowledge as to what I consider "nothing happening" and the point of normalcy in my life. To elaborate on that, I guess whenever we meet someone or facebook stalk them or see them on the street we automatically try to develop some sort of understanding as to how they live their life, and how they perceive how we live our own. In my case this is done by reading the things I write, the pictures I post, the places i say i go, the things I say I do. Besides the obvious though it is pretty well known to all of us that in any given situation ,consciously or not, people are picking up on the clothes we wear, the things we say, the people we know, the way we get around, etc.

So the question arises. When does a portrait of every day life become aware of itself? To be more specific. When does life become a "lifestyle?" I go through the majority of my day removed from the way I may be perceived from an outside prospective, yet I still take time to share my thoughts/opinions/beliefs/stories to a public audience. Whether it be through a shitty little blog on some corner of the Internet or through a AIM name, patronizing a certain business, or a $75 pair of jeans I can't help but feel we all have this "caulfield-ian" persona buried somewhere deep in our brain.

I don't think this is a bad thing. If anything it is the driving mechanism that gets us to meet people and develop our interests and skills. More importantly I think it allows us to draw on the inanimate to develop an understanding of each others lives. A photograph or a t-shirt or a pet dog will never clue a person in to someone entire existence, but it allows someone to develop a human connection, for better or worse.

So what is the point of all of this? The point is that I think it is interesting that anyone reading this has a perception of what "normal" is in my life. And I inadvertently have some sort of reciprocal understanding. You're reading a blog for christ sake.Basic assumptions can be made on the behalf of reader and writer, photographer and viewer, patron and painter. Anyway, I think that's neat. Thats all.

1 comment:

Miles said...

i liked reading this
haha i was jus like hey i wonder what davey's been up to and decided to read up