Friday, February 22, 2008

10001

Thursday night was a really good time. We rode all over, stopped at riveside park or whatever its called and drank some wine. Rode down to Dells dam and hung out there for a while. Then rode back into town and spent the rest of the night drinking at Hilltop. I barely remember how I got home last night, but I remember sleeping really well and today I'm really tired. I'm extremely happy that this week is over because it's been overly stressful, and I'm almost looking forward to working all weekend as sad as that may seem. I finally pulled out my Windsor again and I think we are back on speaking terms, but the geometry is taking some getting used too. The weather is suppose to warm up this weekend, and I'm almost begning to think that maybe spring is coming. Knock on wood. I guess not a whole lot else is going on.


The other day I got bored and when I'm bored I turn to arts and crafts. I like how the chrome bags work so I baisically figured I would copy that strap desighn rather than go out and drop all that money on one. So I decided I better make my bag more hip by adding a new strap with a buckle on it to replace my old one. And this is how I did it.
1. The strap on bottom is the old strap from my bag. The one on top is cut off of an old backback I had. Make sure they are the same width and shit and set the traps to the length that you usually have them, but leave enough rooom for adjusting them tighter and looser.




2. Lay one end of the new strap on the old one. When you cut the straps the ends might fray. Luckilly they are made of nylon so all you need to do is take a lighter to the ends of the strap and they will melt into a nice edge. If you don't do this shit will fray and look ugly and rip eventually.
3. Sew the end you layed down to the existeing strap. This is baisically using the old strap as a template for the new. When I sew I usually sew with floss because its stronger than thread and easier to handle. This just ended up looking like a mess of stitches, but make sure you sew that shit good or it will rip off. Also make sure you use a relativly thick needle. Nylon is pretty tough to get through.


Now you have one really long strap. This is the point of no return, so check all of your measurments and make sure everything is the way you want it.



4. Take the non-sewn end of the pres existing strap and cut it. My bag has the little clips on it, so I just slip the new strap between the nylon running through the clip and sew it. I'm sure you could also sew it to the bag directly.

Voila! Once thats done you just cut the old strap away and your done. Burn any loos ends of your nylon, and go over your stitches with fabric glue if you want.

















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh david you are so handy!

Anonymous said...

oh david you are so handy!