Thursday, February 21, 2013

indicia


It's hard to believe that it's to the point in the year when you have to start planning spring bike stuff.  While this causes an undo amount of stress trying to figure out exactly what I will be doing on any given weekend months in advance it’s also nice to think that maybe winter is actually coming to an end and in a few short months I will be sleeping outside and riding my bike without a shirt on. So what’s on the docket? 

A million long gravel grindersI've mentioned in the past that I was admittedly very skeptical of the idea of gravel road rides as just another over-hyped excuse for people to buy another bike and show off what a hard ass they are.  My opinion has changed dramatically though.  And this year I’m pretty stoked to be partaking in a few events and proving exactly how much of a wimp ass can show up to these things.

SSUSA- I no longer ride a SS mountain bike and I’m going to be gone during this event anyway, but it looks fun, and a lot of people seem to have a pretty big hard-on for this event so it’s worth mentioning.  This will probably be full by the time you read this anyway.


Bikepacking and camping every weekend possible- Last year we went bike camping in mid-March when it was something like 70 degrees for a week.  Now I doubt this will be happening this year (for good reason, it’s not supposed to.) I’m in the process of putting together a new bike and I’m excited for taking off in a different direction every weekend possible.    


Whoa, that's a big block of text. Let's break it up with a picture of the newest offering from Fyxation "The Quiver."
I'm a big fan bikes like this coming into vogue.  Highly versatile steel frames that are simply designed and don't cost a ton of money.  It always blows me away that this is the same thing that was made for decades and then cast aside for so long before demand for this type of frame came back.  While I think that name "Quiver" is horrendous it's neat none the less. Read more here.

And lastly on the topic of silly names and simplicity Jeff from All-City recently made a blog post about why All-City doesn't put model names on their bikes. While I think flashy paint jobs can look alright on some bikes they have never graced my rides and probably never will for many of the reasons highlighted.  Well said. 

And with that chapter written I am out of here, I got stuff to do. 

1 comment:

M.Drews said...

People are complaining about cuss words in the comments of the All-City "model names" post? What a bunch of bitchy fuck-wads.