Wednesday, September 5, 2012

hyuuu hyuuu

I'm can only assume you have been sitting around all weekend in the dark twiddling your thumbs waiting around for me to get back on the internet and post some more garbage here.  For that I sincerely apologize but I've got to say the last thing on my mind all weekend was posting here.  Now that I've sufficiently recovered and sifted through dozens of blurry photos to remind myself of what exactly went down this weekend I'm back.  Thursday night we took of for Houghton in the UP to crash for the night before hitting up the local trails.  We rolled into town around 2am and headed to the closest bar to get the skinny on possible places to sleep and get a taste of the local night life.  After a mammoth order the lights came up and we headed to the shore line to find a place to sleep for the night.  We found the most precarious rooftop in all of Houghton and set up camp on top of it.
We woke up in the morning to realize just how structurally unsound our makeshift campground was and tip toed back to safety.  We went to some place for breakfast that served the most well balanced egg-to-hashbrown ratio skillet I've ever had in my life before heading over to the Michigan Tech trails to get some riding in.  The first section we hit was fun very technical rocky winding stuff with a lot of obstacles built into it.  I was pretty stoked with the technical trail section but then we went across the park to hit some of the fastest single track that I've ridden in a long time.  If I wasn't excited to ride yet, I was after that.  After dicking around at the Michigan Tech trails for a few hours we ate some lunch behind the public library and became a serious spectacle.  Met a lady who traded cans for banjos and laid in the sun for a super long time.  The day slipped by fast and we decided to head the rest of the way up to Copper Harbor before the sun got too low to go swimming in the lake.    
After arriving in CH we set up camp and headed to Lake Superior to clean up then get back and make some dinner.  That night we headed out to the beach under a full moon to have a few beers, sit around the fire, and eventually pass out.
Then wake up in the morning to this.

Sometimes life is awesome.
Saturday was just one of those perfect days. The whole Madison crew hit the trails and hit the race loop plus a few more sections.  Came back for lunch and naps, then headed out again to hit a few trails that got missed.  That's one thing you definitely don't want to do while in CH, miss trails.


Afterwards more swimming in the lake, beer drinnking, and dock jumping followed.




That night we went back to the beach for another fire and headed back before too late to rest up for the race on Sunday.  After almost missing the start I sprinted out of town to get in line with a minute to spare.  The whole race was by far the most fun I've ever had racing my bike.  When you know your finishing position from the start it alleviates a lot of the stress of trying to advance.  I rode the first half the race telling jokes with a fellow racer and getting as much air as I could.  At the bottom of the first descent I got a beer hand up and rode the rest of the thing smiling ear to ear despite the massive lung busting climbs.
After we wrapped up I grabbed some food and a beer and set to getting loose. After another beer we hit the lake to wash up and headed back for more food and festivities.
I got the chance to rip around on some guys full suspension BMC.
The sun went down.
Hood rat shenanigans went down.
Dancing went down.
And eventually my head went down.  The whole weekend was a blast and trying to recap it here is really not going to do it justice.  So check out the pictures and be jealous then show up next year.  Well I've got some real work to do so I'm getting off this thing.  Later dweebs.

No comments: