Thursday, April 19, 2012

Jams

I went down to Revival the other day to pick up a Graveyard album I ordered and got a few other things as well.  I first heard Graveyard not to long ago and immediately fell in love. Since then I've been listening to a lot of psych/early metal stuff non-stop and this album has quickly become a favorite. 
 
I was suprised to find a handful of J Church 7"s and a few other random Cringer and Pansy Division 7"s  Like a lot of kids in the 90s I thought that the whole west coast/Berkley punk scene was the coolest thing ever and I really loved (and still do) a lot of those bands i.e. Rancid, Mr. T Experience, The Queers, Crimpshine, Enemy You, etc.  But J Church was one of the first bands that I really liked that could pull off weird spoken word about Albert Ayler and still cover Rudimentary Peni.  Not only were they fun but they seemed to have this huge body of practical knowledge and experience backing them that separated them from hyper doctrinal bands like Filth the overt nihilism of bands like Blatz and the California dreaminess of bands like the Queers.  J Church came across as being smart as hell, incredibly talented, and only a little dorky.  And they weren't afraid to do the occasional hangover song as well.

 Grabbed the new Sleigh Bells and I also picked up an original pressing of the Swing Kids 7" which I was pretty stoked to find.


Really happy about this.  Check out Revival on Saturday for Record Store Day.  TNR tonight rain or shine.

No comments: