Monday, February 13, 2012

 I feel like I've been a bad dad to this blog lately with the lack of posts, but to be fair the past couple weekends have been so packed that I feel like I've barely had the time to decompress from one before the other begins.  This is not a complaint mind you, just an observation.  I feel like their are very few February's that seem to go as well as this one so it is quite the relief.  Anyway Thursday ended up being one of the laziest TNR's on record.  Meaning that it ended up being 4 of us walking to Scott's house to drink beer, eat pizza, and watch Hobo with a Shotgun.  That happens sometimes I guess.  
 Saturday Magyar and I headed to Menomonie for the St. Valentines Day Hustle ice race.  This is the fourth annual running of the race on Lake Menomin and it was a really fun time. It was a cold windy day but we were pleasantly surprised to see a good pack of racers on all sorts of bikes had made it out with smiles on their faces.
 Despite being aware of this race and intending to go over a month in advance I still only managed to get one tire studded, and failed to get it on the bike by launch time, so I was stuck riding the regular commuter.  We go going and I managed to get in the front 5 or so until the 4th checkpoint when we were told we needed to go back across the lake to grab a beer. Knowing all to well that all race organizers throughout history are bold faced liars who's goal in life is to make racers work harder than they want too I figured I could climb off the lake and find a gas station/liquor store in enough time to come back and pick up a position.  I was wrong. I ended up adding a ton of time to my race, and handed my manifest in DFL.
We went in and got warmed up when AG2 showed up fresh from the ride in from Eau Claire.  Awards happened, and I managed to snag a prize for DFL finish and we hung around for a bit longer eating some food and grabbing some coffee before hitting the road.

Overall awesome time. Glad we finally made it out for one of these.  It's not every day you get to dodge ice-fishing tip ups and snowmobiles while racing your bike. Sunday was laundry and gun shooting day out at my dads house.
Awesome weekend, can't wait for Friday.

No comments: